Psychology and Law Committee
Consultation for Attorneys
- Pros & Cons of Confidentiality in Court Ordered Treatment: Impact on the Psychologist, Court, Attorneys and Clients
- Parent Allegations of Child-Sexual Abuse
- Intimate Partner Aggression/Violence
- Munchausen’s by Proxy
- How Psychological Problems Affect Parenting Skills
- Forensic Evaluations
- Rebuttal Consultation
- Impact of High-Conflict Divorce on Children
- Standards and Guidelines for Child Custody Evaluations in NYS
Neil S. Grossman, Ph.D., Chair
Roy Aranda, Psy.D., J.D.
Steve Honor, Ph.D.
Dan O'Leary, Ph.D.
Anu Raj, Ph.D.
Bob Raymond, Ph.D.
Robert Goldman, Ph.D., J.D.
Bruce Hillowe, Esq., Ph.D.
Jeannemarie Massetti, MSW
Joe Scroppo, Ph.D., J.D.
Objectives and Goals
Provide information and resources to psychologists about the legal system involving forensic psychology and to the legal system about psychological issues relevant to the area of law. Collaborate with the Suffolk County Bar Association and the Judicial System to design better psychological interventions for clients who are involved in legal cases or matters.
- Provide education and training for psychologists regarding forensic psychology.
- Present workshops, with the Bar Association and/or the Courts, about psychology issues.
- Provide information to attorneys about how psychologists can assist them and their clients.
- Develop resources regarding psychological issues for judges and attorneys.
- Identify case law relevant to a forensic practice in New York State and disseminate this information to psychologists practicing in this area.
- Provide public education about various ways psychologists can assist families or family members who are involved with legal issues.
- NYSPA Forensic Division Conference 2017
A series of workshops will be presented. Details to follow.
- AFCC-AAML Conference
Advanced Issues in Child Custody: Evaluation, Litigation and Settlement
September 14-16, 2017 at the Westin San Diego - San Diego, California
- American Psychology-Law Society Conference
The 2018 AP-LS Annual Meeting will be held from March 8-10, 2018 at The Peabody Hotel in Memphis, Tennessee
- AFCC 55th Annual Conference
Compassionate Family Court Systems: The Role of Trauma-Informed Jurisprudence
June 6 - 9, 2018, Washington Hilton, Washington, DC
- AFCC 13th Symposium on Child Custody Evaluations
November 8-10, 2018, Embassy Suites by Hilton Denver Downtown Hotel - Denver, Coloardo
- AFCC-NY Annual Program
Feeling Hopeless? Who Can Help in a High Conflict Custody Case?
Tuesday, May 23rd, 2018 - 6:00 PM – 8:30 PM - New York City Bar Association 42 W 44TH ST, New York, NY 10036
- Information about Supreme Court in Suffolk and Nassau Counties
- Information about Family Court in Suffolk and Nassau Counties
- Information about the NYS Court System in general: PDF | Website
- American Psychological Association : http://www.apa.org
- American Psychology-Law Society : http://www.ap-ls.org
- American Bar Association : http://www.abanet.org
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts : http://www.afccnet.org/About/AboutAFCC
- New York Association of Collaborative Professionals : www.nycollaborativeprofessionals.org
- Suffolk County Bar Association : http://www.scba.org
- NYSPA Division of Forensic Psychology: http://www.nyspa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=574:forensics-division&catid=92&Itemid=741